Saturday, April 23, 2011

Growing UP...or Waking UP?


I had yet another inspirational chat with my friend, David VanAmburg yesterday and, as always, I was left with a gem that I got to ponder for the rest of the day. It came when I was expressing my frustration about events that are happening in the world today. Why do powerful people often not see the folly of their decisions?...and he said..."But it's because most people come to this life thinking their job is to GROW UP...and they forget to WAKE UP."

I had a visual of a rose growing ever taller and straighter in the garden, reaching to grab the most air, the most sunshine; to be taller than ALL the other roses around it - but failing to let its petals naturally unfold to expose the beauty of what a rose was truly meant to be.

What would it mean to you to being in the process of WAKING UP!

4 comments:

David VanAmburg said...

We are so glad to have you back, writing again, Judy.

Perhaps a clue to growing up is embedded in the latest U.S. polls that show a massive decline in positive perceptions of the external world and economy.

I don't see much beauty when driving down a beautiful street after a night of conflict and little sleep. But I see something totally different if I drive down the same street fully rested and relaxed.

Consciousness creates the world we live in. We get to create the world we really want - every moment of every day.

If I want positive change in the world, I have to start with me. If I assume responsibility for me, and you do the same for you, the world will continue to transition to a better place. Stated differently, when I grow up, the world will be able to grow up.

Best wishes,
David

Judy Berg said...

Thanks David - you always add clarity. I think we get confused by all the gurus, systems, new age truths etc, that make this awakening very complex and requires a spiritual guide, often with a high price tag, to point "the way". Now, if one is currently into some kind of guided spirituality and it is working for you - I am not here to undermine that - but what I do want to do is to point out that you have all you need within you to "awaken" - going inside on your own journey is where the answers are found. Lloyd Bonisteel once said, many, many years ago..."the youth of the 70's tramped the world in search of themselves." "The problem," said Bonisteel, "is that they were not lost! They just didn't like what they saw."

Judy Berg said...

Hey David - I just reread your comments and I think when you wrote this line...
"Stated differently, when I grow up, the world will be able to grow up."

What I think you meant was "when I WAKE UP, the world will be able to WAKE UP."

I suddenly remembered how annoyed I used to get (and I think everyone else I knew felt the same way) - when people would say to us as teenagers..."why don't you just grow up!".
Perhaps we knew then that growing up was inevitable - WAKING UP IS HARD TO DO ...hhhmmm could be a song here :)

David VanAmburg said...

No argument, Judy. I tend to equate waking up with growing up, and sometimes use them interchangeably. Adults who don't display having awakened don't impress me as being grown up. :)